Combination of berberine extracts from natural plant sources
• Traditionally used in Herbal Medicine as a bitter to aid digestion, to help relieve digestive disturbances such as dyspepsia, and as a mild laxative
• Includes goldenseal root extract, barberry root and stem extract, barberry root bark, Oregon grape root extract, and Oregon grape root
Berberis Formula is a blend of barberry, goldenseal and Oregon grape extracts that are traditionally used in Herbal Medicine to help maintain gastrointestinal health. The main bioactive ingredient in these extracts is berberine.1,2 Recent research demonstrates that berberine inhibits bacterial attachment to the gastric mucosa.3 Berberine also mediates the transport of ions and water across intestinal epithelial cells.3 It helps maintain the balance between electrolytes and water, resulting in an anti-diarrheal effect.3 Berberine can increase the expression of the Na+; H+ exchanger and aquaporin,2 which help enhance the absorption of sodium and water, respectively.3,4 Berberine also promotes proper intestinal epithelial tight junction formation, and decreases the permeability of these cells to promote appropriate gastrointestinal barrier function.5 During low contractile states, berberine stimulates the jejunum through the activation of muscarinic receptors, resulting in increased intestinal motility, and a mild laxative effect.6
1. Javadzadeh, SM, Ebrahimi, A. Sci. Agri. 2013; 1(2): 61-66.
2. Siow, YL, Sarna, L, O, K. Food Research International. 2011; 44: 2409-2417.
3. Chen, C, Yu, Z, Li, Y, Fichna, J, Storr, M. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2014; 42(5): 1053-1070.
4. Zhang, Y, Wang, X, Sha, S, Liang, S, Zhao, L, Liu, L, Chai, N, Wang, H, Wu, K. BFitoterapia. 2012; 83: 1014-1022.
5. Gu, L, Li, N, Gong, J, Li, Q, Zhu, W, Li, J. The Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2011; 203: 1602-1612.
6. Chen, DP, Xiong, YJ, Lv, BC, Liu, FF, Wang, L, Tang, ZY, Lin, Y. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2013; 65(5): 734-744.
EACH CAPSULE CONTAINS: Barberry (Berberis vulgaris) Root and Stem Extract (4:1) . . 200mg 800 mg Dried Equivalent Oregon Grape (Mahonia aquifolium) Root Extract (4:1) (Mahonia aquifolium) (4:1) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 200mg 800 mg Dried Equivalent Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) Root Std. Extract (10:1) (5% Alkaloids) (10:1) (5 % dâ€™alcaloÃ¯des) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50mg 500 mg Dried Equivalent Barberry (Berberis vulgaris) Root Bark . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25mg Oregon Grape (Mahonia aquifolium) Root . . . . . . 25mg Non-Medicinal Ingredients: Hypromellose, cellulose, silica
Recommended Dose: Adults (19 years and older): Take one capsule two times daily with meals or as recommended by your healthcare practitioner. May take up to one week to produce beneficial effects.
Risk Information: If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, do not use. If symptoms persist or worsen, consult your healthcare practitioner. If you have a kidney disorder, blood pressure problems, heart or respiratory condition, consult your healthcare practitioner prior to use. Consumption with alcohol, other medications and/or natural health products with sedative properties is not recommended. Do not exceed the recommended dose. Discontinue use and consult your healthcare practitioner if the following symptoms occur: nausea, vomiting, drop in blood pressure and/or difficulty breathing. High dosages of berberine can depress respiration, stimulate intestinal smooth muscle and reduce bronchial constriction.